Let me start by solving the mystery of my business name for you…
My maiden name is Butler!
Growing up I spent a lot of time with my beloved grandparents. My grandfather was an artist and continuously encouraged me to explore my creative side and to colour outside of the lines. For years he tried to teach me to draw with no success (stick figures are still hard for me). My grandmother is a lover of mystery novels and I spent many hours watching murder mystery shows with her such as Poirot, McMillan and Wife, Columbo, Murder She Wrote, etc. So, The Butler Did It is my nod to them.
I spent 15 years wearing all black and working in the dark backstage of the theatre. (Maybe that’s why I enjoy quilting so much, it allowed/allows me to play with colour where it was lacking in my everyday). I loved Stage Managing, but it came to a point that I just wasn’t able to juggle my work and home life. When I stopped taking contracts to be at home with my boys, I found myself missing the theatre and being a part of that artistic world. Quilting quickly jumped in to fill that creative void.
I live outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia with my incredible and supportive husband, Illya, our four beautiful boys (yes, four!); Parker, Carsten, Declan, and Kendell and two cats; Piper and Ellie.
I first discovered quilting online in 2012, and then found my quilting community in the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild. In the fall of 2018, I took a flimsy (quilt top) and backing to my guildmate’s house to be longarm quilted and was amazed by the finish. She generously offered to teach me how to operate her machine and I was hooked!!!
Here I am, ready to start on this new business sharing my passion for quilting and a balanced family life for my boys.
A few more things about me…
- I LOVE being a Mom!!! It is literally the best thing that ever happened to me.
- I LOVE coffee! (Almost as much as being a Mom).
- My favourite vacation is camping at Kejimkujik National Park with all my boys.
- There is always a renovation project on the go at our house – or two or three.
- Cats or dogs? Definitely cats, but I enjoy all animals. I actually worked at an animal shelter during my university days. I only ended up with three cats, but so did everyone close to me!
- In my ideal world I would bake everyday and happily order takeout for supper every night.
- My husband and I are both theatre majors and have never been to New York – that needs to change asap!